Radon

Radon is a radioactive gas that occurs naturally in the earth's rock and soil. It is formed by the natural breakdown of radium, which itself is a decay of uranium. As it decays, radon forms radioactive by-products, which can damage lung tissue when inhaled and eventually cause lung cancer. Radon is colorless, odorless and tasteless. Radon is the main source of our exposure to all radiation. In fact, 55% of all radiation to which we are exposed comes from radon gas. Radon enters your home through hollow block walls, cracks in the basement and foundation and openings around the floor drains, pipes and sump holes, and can then build to high levels. The Surgeon General warns that indoor radon is second only to smoking as the leading cause of lung cancer deaths in the United States.


 

  • Radon is colorless, odorless and tasteless
  • According to the US EPA, radon causes approx. 21,000 deaths annually
  • In PA, 40% of homes have radon levels greater tha the DEP's guideline of less than 4.0pCi/L
  • You and your family are most likely to get the greatest exposure to radon in the home
  • Radon is not just a problem in the home, but in workplaces and schools as well
  • Smokers exposed to radon have a greater risk of developing lung cancer than exposed non smokers

To find out more, visit the following websites: